When the
mother insisted I make wiser investments with the (little) money I earn, I
argued, "Clothes are wise investments! I spend a lot on them, after
all". She did not see the humour in it and off we sped away to buy gold
yesterday. She explained that this would help curb those middle-of-the-night
cravings for new shoes and help me have something that will secure me for the
future. All this is fine. South Indian women hardly need encouragement for
gold-shopping anyway. From my eighty-year-old next-door neighbour to my
sassy-mouthed, well-meaning colleague, they all patiently waxed poetic
about the yellow metal.
So, much to my own suprise, I was excited! It was with a bit of
delicious anticipation that I stepped into GRT, the jewellery store in T.
Nagar, where even the floors seemed to be paved in gold. Safari-suited, beaming
employees ushered us in, while a pretty lady dressed like a stewardess asked us
what exactly we were looking for. While the mother spoke to her, the father was
already stifling a yawn. I, though, looked around and realised that I was
the only jeans-clad woman in the store.
The place was bursting with women in pattu sarees, each with necks weighed
down by enough gold to afford a vacation to Vegas, for an elopement and a
gamble. Even the pudgy kids they had dragged along wore their gold bangles with
the same comfort as the lollipops that were glued to their pink-tinted tongues.
The conditioned air blew conspicuously against my naked neck, wrists and
fingers and I felt desperately under-decked for the occasion. Heck, my mom and
I together would not own the amount of jewellery that clung to the 13-year-old
girl next to me.
But, I decided I did not care, and the elevator deposited me on
the floor which would eventually become many thousands richer, thanks to me.
The sales guy with the neatly parted hair and shy smile promised that he would find
the exact kind of chain I am looking for. He repeatedly assured me that he will
not force any gaudy stuff that screams "Money!" and served steaming almond
milk, while I settled back for an afternoon of guilt-free indulgence. I told
myself that I will do my thing, enjoy it and get out in time for work.
As he rummaged around to please my picky taste, I braved another
look around and was aghast. Women all around me were buying gold worth lakhs,
with the careless abandon of the nouveau riche. But, what baffled me the most
was that these people were not rich by any stretch of imagination. They were
the ordinary middle-class folk, and some, lower-middle. The old-gold adorning
their bodies glittered in sync to their shimmery purchases and I turned
to the father in confusion. He reflected my train of thought and said,
"We hardly buy gold, but how do these people have
all this money to buy it so easily?"
All
around us, people were burning deep holes in their pockets while trying
to live the Indian Dream – owning enough gold for the human flesh to glimmer in
a shiny mask – and I felt an incremental deflation of enthusiasm. I experienced
mini panic-attacks every time I saw the tag curled around a jewel, and had to
exert many a brain cell in trying to calculate how much I may need to pay. The
lady with the jasmine flowers, silk saree and ropes of gold necklaces next to
me, however, looked at one metal monstrosity after another flippantly, not
bothering with those pesky tags at all.
South Indians love their gold don’t
they? Even at the risk of being unable to make ends meet, their treasure chests
gleam with drops of sunny gold. To a certain extent I understood the craze: The
Big Indian Wedding necessitates what is increasingly becoming a middle-class
preoccupation. Daughters have to be married off even if the gold prices are
soaring mountain-high, don’t they? Even shy-smiled sales guy clicked his tongue
in sympathy: “Sir, please join our monthly scheme for your daughter Sir. Lots of
gold you can save Sir. For her marriage Sir.. Sir.” Oh boy.
As I clutched my humble purchases close to me,
the branch-shaped pendant that I so meticulously picked out seemed insignificant
next to what I saw a fellow-shopper lugging out. I was happy nevertheless: I
paid for this. It belongs to me. It is not some unnecessary addition to the
closet that will not last more than a year; it is permanent.
I inhaled a heady puff of the hysteria
that I took away from the golden madhouse I just visited. And as I finish this
post, my brother informs me the gold prices have gone up today. Is the
feeling I experience what every South Indian feels when he/she hears something
similar? I feel relieved that I chose to go yesterday, instead of today, and by
that relief, I melded flawlessly with the golden people. Whether I liked it or
not.
beautiful read... and one that i can absolutely relate to! there was a point when I hated the metal but now the indian woman in me has stepped out and i find myself super excited everytime we go gold shopping!
ReplyDeleteYou wax poetic, Ev!
ReplyDeleteBut question: What would you choose - the yellow metal or our one shared obsession? =D
Its easily the best investment a woman can make, not gold but writing a blog. The post is worth its weight in gold. I am hooked to ur posts di....
ReplyDeleteDi? Really? :/
DeleteGod babe..this one is so true..tell ME about it!!!
Delete